Subject: Re: Good system for lightwave under NT
From: [email-masked] (robert hood)
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 1995 07:22:13 -0700 (PDT)

>         Okay, thanks everyone for your responses to my question about which
> OS to use for Lightwave (Win, or NT)...
> 
>         Almost everyone answered Windows NT.
> 
>         I haven't had any experience using NT before, so I was wondering
> what people would recommend as a good system for running Lightwave under
> Windows NT.
> 
>         The system that I have my eye on right now is a Pentium 100 with 16
> meg of ram.  Is this system powerful enought to run Lightwave under NT?

You'll want to have a *minimum* of 32MB of RAM if you are going to use
Windows NT.  The OS itself will consume 12MB right off the top, leaving
you with only 4MB of real memory.  You'll be thrashing rather badly, even
running a single application.

I use a Gateway P5-90 at work, and it has 32MB of RAM.  If I get LightWave
rendering in the background and Visual C++ compiling in the foreground,
well I've got Thrash City.  My Pentium machine begins to run and respond
slower than my 486/33 at home.

It's funny how Microsoft's products don't seem to get smaller and more
efficient as they come out with new versions.  Give 'em more RAM and they'll
fill it up just as fast as you can install it.

Regards,                      |||
Bob                         ^(===)^
-------------------------oOO--(_)--OOo--------------------------------------
Bob Hood            | The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the
                    | unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world
Work: 303-730-1324  | to himself.  Therefore all progress depends on the
Home: 303-980-8392  | unreasonable man.    -- George Bernard Shaw
[email-masked]    `-------------------------------------------------------
[email-masked]           ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/bh/bhood/www/bhood.html
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

--
[email-masked] (robert hood) sent this message.
To Post a Message           : [email-masked]
Un/Subscription Requests To : [email-masked]
(DIGEST)                 or : [email-masked]
Administrative Items To     : [email-masked]